Friday, March 13, 2015

Jedi Powers and King David

I really hate waiting. Waiting lines. Don't you hate when the person behind you stands way too close?  I have personal space issues, I guess. Waiting rooms. Giant petri dishes. I will try to find the most isolated area and never fails, someone will sit right beside me and hack or talk loudly. That reminds me of Caroline's first surgery. We were still in the NICU. She was 2 weeks old. A very traumatic experience for all of us to say the least. My family and I sit down in the surgery waiting area and a family next to us talks about funerals and burial plots the whole. dang. time.

Annoying Person #1: "At my funeral I want them to sing that one song..."
Annoying Person #2: "Well I want the plot by (so-and-so) not that other one…"

 If there were ever a chance to use some Harry Potter magic to punch someone and then make them forget the whole incident….Oh or maybe some Jedi mind control.
Me: (Throat punches annoying person)
Annoying Person: "What the -"
Me: (Waving hand in front of his face) "I did not throat punch you."
Annoying Person: "You did not throat punch me."
The lesson here is there are plenty of topics to discuss in a surgery waiting room…death is not one of them, but I digress...

If you recall, we have been in a waiting period lately. We came to a fork in the ride. We chose a path. A new path. Then, we had to exit the ride momentarily as this new path is being readied. We stepped away from the platform to reassess our objectives and choices. We bought our tickets. Then we waited. I got a long-awaited call yesterday to confirm we are booked on this ride and given a departure time. As thankful as I was to receive that call, I still felt annoyed by this waiting period.

When I feel overwhelmed by the unknowns and the wait, I go to my guy King David. I am actually aware there are other books in the Bible, but if you were to peek at my notebook, you would think I only knew of Psalms. When I let doubts consume me, I copy down His truths and promises much like a student copies vocabulary words and definitions. There's something about actually writing out the words by hand that helps them soak in to my heart. Lately when I pray, I feel at a loss for words. Then I pick a Psalm and pray those words. I realize David wasn't the author of each one, but he did author most of my personal favorites.

I once heard someone say that if David had Prozac, the Psalms wouldn't exist. I have a problem with that observation. Sure, his Psalms are gritty and seem to waver from one emotional extreme to the next, but consider the obstacles he faced. Consider the long wait he endured to become king. Saul wasn't going to relinquish that throne without some conflict. Imagine being chased by a man and his armies- who were devoted to ensuring your destruction. I know I would find myself complaining much like David does at the beginning of Psalm 13…

"How long O LORD? Will You forget me forever?
  How long will You hide Your face from me?"

Then, see how David changes his prayer…
"But I trust in your unfailing love; 
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing The LORD'S praise,
for He has been good to me." 

David was flawed, but he was still called a man after God's own heart. God promised him the throne, but he had to endure a difficult waiting period. He made mistakes- big ones but through them he became more appreciative of His grace.  Troubles surrounded him and he did his fair share of complaining. It seems odd that he would change his tune so quickly, but David remembered God's promises - past, present, and future. He could look back and see that God had not failed him yet. He called on God's character.

He is trustworthy.
He is faithful.
He is loving. 

Like David, I am so very flawed. I complain. I make mistakes. Yet, I pray during this difficult wait, that  I will recall His promises and His character. Just like He showed up during that first surgery and kept Caroline safe…and kept me from harming the annoying family…I know He will keep showing up. He hears every grumble, sees every tear, and He answers. I know He began a good work in Caroline. I know He will see us through and He will complete this good work. 


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful devotional! Thank you for your openness and honesty.

    ReplyDelete