Sunday, February 22, 2015

Joy in the Wait

Can you do "enough" for your child?

That's the question I have been asking myself lately. The question I want to ask others.

When you look at your child, do you feel this overwhelming sense of satisfaction that you have done "enough" as a parent? That you have succeeded in raising a healthy, well-rounded, respectful individual who contributes to society?

For the baby who had a rough start…
Do you ask "Am I working with her enough to help her meet these milestones? Am I bonding with her enough?"

For the child who was always ahead of milestones but is now struggling in school…
Do you ask "Am I doing enough to get her the right tutoring or counseling? Am I pushing her enough? Am I pushing too much?"

For the adult who started on the straight and narrow but lost her way…
Do you ask yourself, "Did I take her to church enough? Did I help her too much? Did I let her fail enough? Did I let her fail too much?" Because doing "enough" doesn't always mean doing for your child but teaching them to do for themselves.

I have come to the conclusion that I will always feel I have come up short, that I could have done more…but I want to keep trying. This brings me to our current point in this crazy ride. We approached a fork in the tracks. We chose a path and now we're sort of at a standstill on a steep climb. Is that vague enough? How many times can I use the word "enough?" Well, until we know more, I don't want to share specifics just yet, but for those of you who ask me how you can pray, here it is...

Please pray for peace during this climb. Pray for peace over this decision to choose another course. Pray for us during the waiting. Although we feel an urgency, it doesn't mean everyone else feels that urgency. I'm not the best at waiting- understatement of the century. I like doing. Pray I will hold my thoughts (and tongue) captive to Him while we wait. Although there is pain and fear in the wait, my mom reminded me yesterday that there is also great joy- like nothing I have ever known.



"Be still in the presence of  The LORD, and wait patiently for Him to act…" 
~ Psalm 37:7 

"You both precede and follow me. You place Your hand of blessing upon my head."
~Psalm 139:5 


Thank you, fellow riders. 


2 comments:

  1. Praying for you as you wait and that the Lord will give you discernment in what the next step up the steep hill should be. It may only seem like a small step at first but any step in the right direction is a good step. Praying for precious Caroline as she goes through her own steps. She is not worrying about anything, she knows she is loved and that is what she needs. You are being the awesome mom she needs and she loves you. May the Lord guide your steps and put up guardrails to keep you on the right path.

    Philippians 4:6-7New Living Translation (NLT)

    6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Connie! Yes, each step seems to take an eternity but I have to remember the world doesn't exist to meet my needs! Darn it!
      Thank you for the encouragement. I don't feel awesome and those who see me at my ugly moments would agree but I do love Caroline.

      I am going to copy those verses in my notebook- they are 2 of my favorites. I decided much like we had to copy definitions in school to commit to memory, I needed to be copying truths. Hopefully they will become ingrained. <3

      Delete