Tuesday, September 2, 2014

4 Months

Today Caroline is 4 months old. In some ways the months have absolutely flown by and in others, they have been the longest 4 months of our lives. Looking back, I am amazed at what she has endured during her short life- especially under the care of clueless, sleepy-eyed, new parents. We felt it a major accomplishment just to get through each day. A few weeks after bringing her home from the NICU, I spotted her baby book on the shelf in her nursery and felt a pang of guilt that I had not even cracked it open, let alone documented a single detail of her life. What kind of mother was I that I couldn't find a spare moment to create this precious keepsake for our family? Well, I was an exhausted mother. I still am, but as the days tip-toe by, it gets easier. That's what I want other new mamas or expecting mamas of these amazing, special babies to know- it does get easier. The circumstance, the disease, or the syndrome doesn't magically go away, but the way in which you deal with it gets easier. I promise. Though I still have yet to crack open that baby book, I did find a way to document Caroline's precious life. Is this what I pictured when I dreamed of capturing milestones and memories of Caroline? Never, but life is all about what you do with what you are given- and I think our life is some kind of wonderful.


Over the holiday weekend, Caroline got to visit with both sides of the family. It was decided that from now on, before each surgery, my family will throw a party in Caroline's honor.

Raise your hand if you're ready to party!

 Caroline deliberated over her party outfit for quite some time. She just felt it needed a little something extra, and finally decided a tutu would be appropriate.

Caroline was greeted with balloons, a bubble machine, and her Meme's open arms.

 We had just finished her party dinner and cupcakes when another guest arrived. Meme and Papa have some overly friendly critters that like to hang out on their porch.

Fantastic Mr. Fox enjoying some grilled chicken…and eventually decided to take the roll as well, though he would have preferred more chicken. 
Four months. How much has happened in just four months. How much my baby has grown in just four months. While she still wants, or demands rather, to be held most of the time, I am starting to see glimpses of independence. Time, thou art a heartless wench.

No comments:

Post a Comment